The Progeny Film Festival
The Progeny Film Festival is an annual event hosted by Virginia Tech’s School of Performing Arts in Blacksburg, Virginia. This year’s festival will occur on May 7, 2016. The festival’s mission is to foster high-quality, Do-It-Yourself-spirited filmmaking in the region, especially by independent filmmakers and students.
$500 cash prizes will be awarded by a panel of judges in the categories of 1) fiction, 2) documentary, and 3) student (college). There will also awards for audience-choice and best high school. Entry fee is $15 for independent filmmakers, $10 for college students, and free for high school students. We are currently accepting submissions until March 31st, 2016. Entries must run under 20 minutes and be from the region, or be about the region –- loosely defined as SW Virginia, Appalachia, the Mid-Atlantic and South East USA.
Awards & Prizes
* Best Fiction: $500
* Best Documentary: $500
* Best Student Film (College) $500
* Audience Choice
* Best High School Film
Rules & Terms
* The final deadline for submission to this year’s festival is 11:59pm Eastern Time, March 31st, 2016.
* Films must be 20 minutes or less (including credits).
* Submissions are open to independent filmmakers and students.
* In your cover letter, please explain how your film or any filmmakers involved with the production are associated with SW Virginia, Appalachia, the Mid-Atlantic and South East USA.
* All genres and styles will be considered but films must be able to be presented on a single screen in one performance.
* Hard copies will not be considered. Screening copies should be available on Vimeo, YouTube, or any other streaming site. Files requiring download will not be considered. We will contact you for a high-quality version if your film is selected.
* You must hold the appropriate rights to be able to screen the film to a public audience.