The Custom Reels Short Film Awards
The Custom Reels Short Film Awards is an event dedicated to showcasing young people’s film-making talent in the North East.
The day will begin at 10am – 11:30am with an animation workshop, with an experienced animator (TBA). Following this will be a fun film quiz at 12pm – 1pm. At 1:30pm – 3:30pm there will be a special screening with a top name filmmaker (TBA). The evening of the awards will begin at 6pm with a red carpet reception, followed by the main event at 7pm.
Awards & Prizes
The Best Film Award Winner will receive a £100 cash prize, a trophy and certificate.
The winners of the Best Direction Award, the Best Performance Award, and the One to Watch Award will get a trophy and a certificate.
Rules & Terms
General Submission Guidance
1. The Custom Reels Short Film Award is open to submissions from filmmakers based in the North East of England.
2. Only films finished after March 7th 2015 are eligible for submission.
3. Films must not exceed the 10 minutes in length, inclusive of titles and credits.
4. Filmmakers must be between the ages of 10 – 25 years to be considered for the Custom Reels Short Film Award.
5. There is a limit of one short film submission per director. However, filmmakers may submit more than one short film they have worked on outside of the directing role.
6. Filmmakers must obtain the necessary permissions for any copyright-protected music used.
7. The Custom Reels Short Film Awards will be presented on Thursday 2nd June 2016 at The Customs House as part of The Takeover.
1. References to illegal drugs or drug misuse is only acceptable if it has a clear anti-drug message.
2. Infrequent use of very mild bad language can be featured.
3. Characters may be seen kissing and embracing as long as there is no focus on mature content.
4. No discriminatory language may be used, unless clearly disapproved of or in an educational or historical context.
5. No promotion of anti-social and dangerous behaviour, and no glamorisation of accessible weapons.
6. Moderate physical and psychological threat and horror sequences accepted.
7. Occasional gory moments are accepted, if justified by context.
1. The deadline for submissions is midnight on Friday 13th May 2016.
2. Short films can be submitted by emailing a link to your downloadable film file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Links to YouTube and emails with film files attached are not accepted.
3. Submission emails must contain a brief description of the film, film completion date, age and location of filmmakers, and complete credits.
Notification of Acceptance and Rejection
1. Films submitted are not guaranteed to be shown at the award ceremony in June.
2. Filmmakers selected to be part of the awards ceremony will be notified via email no later than Friday 20th May 2016 and offered seats for the awards ceremony.